Monday, April 28, 2008

Career Search

If there's one thing you learn when you grow up, it's that bills are endless. It goes without saying that you'll need some type of job or career to get by in this world. Attempting to live without one would just be foolish. Well, maybe unless you're going to live off in the woods somewhere like Grizzly Adams. That's a whole different story. My point is that real life requires an education, hard work and a decent job. Now it's not uncommon to have no clue where to start. Most of us ponder career ideas, even half way through college or longer. What you may want to try is a general career search. This can be approached in a few different ways. Are you ready to take the next step and find out where your place is in life?

College is a great place to start. If you're attending a university, it's time to take advantage of their resources. It doesn't really matter if you're a freshman or a senior. You can get started with this at any time. The career center will help you sort through your options that follow college life. You can get assistance and do a career search regarding your major. Find out all the job fields pertaining to your chosen major. I did a career search when I was a sophomore in college. I worked with a woman in the career center to find out what my options were concerning my English major. She came up with a whole list of ideas ranging from technical writing, to freelance work, to journalism, to all sorts of management. It truly was a great help. Later down the road, I did a more in-depth career search on my own. All I needed was my Mac laptop and a few hours to spare. I searched the web over and over for future career ideas that appealed to me most.

Job shadowing is always a good plan. If you're not sure if you'd like a specific field or job position, try shadowing someone who already does it for a day or two. This will definitely put things into perspective. Finally, you can use websites like Dice.com and Monster.com to pinpoint specific jobs in your area and across the country. This is a useful resource once you know what you're looking for. Take your career search seriously. You want a job you'll really enjoy.